In the follow-up to a popular episode on hyper-independence, Chip and Veronica discuss how hyper-independence is a perfect storm that leads us to be lonely, and loneliness leads us to drink. They give suggestions on how to break out of that cycle.
Listen to the episode now:
Watch the episode now:
Hyper-independence is a double-edged sword.
On one hand, it can lead to a sense of self-sufficiency and contentment. On the other, it can create a barrier between us and the people around us, leading to feelings of isolation and loneliness.
In today’s episode, Chip and I explore the consequences of this trait, particularly the loneliness it can breed, and share our personal experiences and perspectives on how it has impacted our lives.
- How hyper-independence leads to a lonely life
- The negative impact of hyper-independence on relationships
- Why it’s important to allow others to help and be included
- The link between hyper-independence and sustainable sobriety
- The cycle of isolation
- How hyper-independent individuals communicate their busyness and create barriers through body language and non-verbal cues
- Breaking the cycle of hyper-independence
- Why hyper-independence can often breed resentment within a family dynamic
- Taking risks and allowing yourself to connect with others
- The anxiety of swapping roles
- Learning to let go and trust
- Adapting behavior in relationships
- Seeking help and overcoming loneliness
- Why friendship and community are essential elements for achieving happiness and sobriety
- The significance of having companions to go through life and sobriety with
- The sadness of lost friendships
- Love and the price of connection
- Anxiety and need for control that come with hyper-independence
- How to start taking small steps out of hyper-independence
- Consistently showing up in social settings
Mentioned in this episode
Resources for You
- Order my book | Soberful: Uncover a Sustainable, Fulfilling Life Free of Alcohol
- Join our Soberful FREE private Facebook group for community and support.
- Have you signed up for our sober tips yet? Join our free newsletter to get sober nuggets straight from us to your inbox every week.
- Submit Your Questions to Us
- We love hearing from you! Share your comments and feedback with us on our Instagram page @VeronicaJValli
Never miss another episode!
Get the sober life you've been longing for. Start by subscribing and we will deliver new podcast episodes as soon as they are released.