Shelby John is a sobriety coach who shares her wisdom about parenting teens whilst dealing with your own negative thinking.
Listen to the episode now:
Watch the episode now:
“It doesn’t have to be happy thoughts all the time. You just need to get away from that negative thinking pattern.” – Shelby John
Ever wondered how your thoughts shape your parenting?
Negative thinking patterns are those persistent, often automatic thoughts that can cloud our judgment and lead to a distorted view of ourselves and the world around us. These patterns can be particularly detrimental when it comes to parenting, as they not only affect our well-being but also the emotional climate of our home and the development of our children.
In today’s conversation, I dive deep with Shelby John into the world of negative thinking patterns. It’s fascinating to see how our inner dialogue can impact not just our lives but our children’s as well. Shelby is a licensed clinical social worker with a private practice where she specializes in trauma, addiction, and anxiety. With years of experience in the field, she founded Shelby John Coaching and is the happy host of the Confident Sober Women podcast. After getting sober, she became a fresh, authentic voice in the sobriety space, showing women how to build confidence and love their lives beyond recovery. Shelby is the mother to three, the wife to one loving man, and has been sober since July 1, 2002.
In this episode, Shelby and I talk about:
- Challenges of parenting teenagers
- How negative thinking patterns impact parenting experiences
- Why parenting challenges our emotions
- Emotional challenges that arise in parenting as a sober individual
- The impact of sobriety on parenting style
- Strategies for letting go and teaching autonomy and responsibility to children
- Techniques to manage negative thinking
- The natural tendency toward negative thinking patterns
- Society’s attitude towards mistakes and its impact on negative thinking patterns
- Shelby’s experience with learning to shift away from negative thoughts related to making mistakes
- Language and its impact on thought patterns
- Reframing negative money mindset through language and perspective
- Shelby’s message to women struggling with sobriety and parenting
Remember, you are not alone in your struggles. There are resources and support available to help you navigate through these challenges.
Connect with Shelby John
- Shelby John’s Website | ShelbyJohnCoaching.com
- Shelby John’s Podcast | Confident Sober Women
- Shelby John’s Book | Recovering In Recovery: The Life-Changing Joy Of Sobriety
Resources for You
- Order my book | Soberful: Uncover a Sustainable, Fulfilling Life Free of Alcohol
- Join our Soberful FREE private Facebook group for community and support.
- Have you signed up for our sober tips yet? Join our free newsletter to get sober nuggets straight from us to your inbox every week.
- Submit Your Questions to Us
- We love hearing from you! Share your comments and feedback with us on our Instagram page @VeronicaJValli
Never miss another episode!
Get the sober life you've been longing for. Start by subscribing and we will deliver new podcast episodes as soon as they are released.