Rory Brown is a behaviour change coach who helps people find freedom from food. Rory experienced an eating disorder and body dysmorphia as a young man; convinced that he would be happy if he achieved the perfect body, he eventually became suicidal. He shares his story of recovery and how he helps his clients overcome their issues with food.
Listen to the episode now:
Watch the episode now:
“I was the most miserable I have ever been, with terrible sleep and no sex drive, despite having what society deems the perfect body. It’s a terrible place to find yourself in.” – Rory Brown
It’s time to reset our narrative around health and self-image.
Struggling with an eating disorder is often a silent battle, especially for men. Today’s guest, Rory Brown, joined me to talk about that battle, and in this conversation, he opened up about the physiological and emotional turmoil he faced. His recovery story is a testament to finding balance and discovering the joy in making choices that aren’t ruled by restriction. It’s a powerful narrative of change and the freedom that comes with healing your relationship with food.
Rory Brown is a behavior change specialist, helping individuals stop binge eating and restore their relationship with mind, body, and food. He teaches people to unravel the behaviors that underlie their binges, eliminate the shame and the guilt, and unlock the freedom from the food they desire. He has more than 15 years of experience in the health and wellness space and has spent the last 4 years working in a clinical setting, helping people create a roadmap to recovery, and live a life of fulfillment, joy, and purpose.
In this episode, Rory and I talk about:
- How Rory works with clients as a behavior change specialist
- Rory’s experience with an eating disorder, including the triggers and struggles during his teenage years.
- Seeking help, self-exploration, and recovery from his eating disorder.
- How disordered behaviors have been normalized in the health and fitness industry
- Why we need to educate and advocate for healthier approaches
- The danger of comparison, the character-building qualities of exercise, and the need for a holistic approach to health
- Risks of anabolic steroids
- Challenges Rory has experienced with working with men
- Signs of Rory’s recovery, including a shift in mindset and improved relationship with food
- Finding hope for those struggling with body image and eating disorders
- The value of self-love and personal growth
- The importance of reflecting on your journey and being proud of how far you have come
Connect with Rory Brown
Resources for You
- Order my book | Soberful: Uncover a Sustainable, Fulfilling Life Free of Alcohol
- Join our Soberful FREE private Facebook group for community and support.
- Have you signed up for our sober tips yet? Join our free newsletter to get sober nuggets straight from us to your inbox every week.
- Submit Your Questions to Us
- We love hearing from you! Share your comments and feedback with us on our Instagram page @VeronicaJValli
Never miss another episode!
Get the sober life you've been longing for. Start by subscribing and we will deliver new podcast episodes as soon as they are released.