Veronica joins forces with three other sober podcasters to discuss getting through the holidays sober.
Listen to the episode now:
Watch the episode now:
Today’s show is a special holiday episode I recorded with three other fantastic, sober podcasters: Casey Davidson, Gill Tietz, and Paul Churchill. We came together to talk about our experiences of drinking through the holidays, getting sober through the holidays, and how to be sober through the holidays and share our different perspectives. I hope you enjoy the episode!
In this conversation, we talk about:
- Paul’s holiday seasons of not being present and hiding his drinking
- Casey’s experience being a blackout drinker and not remembering the end of the night during the holiday season
- The hangover on Christmas morning
- How the holiday season in England lends itself to excessive drinking without consequences
- Why the holidays can often be a lonely time.
- Gill’s past holiday experiences, filled with humiliation, anger, and alcohol-fueled fights with family and friends
- The ups and downs of our first sober holidays
- Emotional challenges that come with the holiday season in early sobriety
- Struggling with boundaries with family and friends
- What we did when we wavered in our sobriety
- Working during the holiday season as a positive distraction
- Gaining a new perspective on drinking during the holiday season
- Dealing with receiving alcohol as gifts during the holiday season
- How to set health boundaries with family
- Breaking the cycle and confronting stigmas and old perceptions
- Tips for navigating social events while sober
- Creating your own holiday plans
- Why it’s crucial to prioritize sobriety during the first year
Connect with Gillian Tietz
Gillian Tietz is the host of the Sober Powered Podcast and the founder of Sober Powered Media, a podcast network for mental health podcasts. Getting sober in 2019 inspired her to start her podcast, where she utilizes her biochemistry background to teach others how alcohol affects the brain and why it’s so hard to stop drinking. She is a chemistry professor at a university in Boston.
- Gillian Tietz’s Website | Sober Powered
- Gillian Tietz’s Podcast | The Sober Powered Podcast
- Gillian Tietz on Instagram: @sober.powered
Connect with Paul Churchill
Paul Churchill is the founder of Recovery Elevator – a popular membership-based community that helps partner sobriety-seeking individuals with like-minded seekers. Paul helps others start their journey and turn their life around. Along with putting on alcohol-free wellness retreats and seminars across the country, he hosts sober travel itineraries across the globe.
- Paul Churchill’s Website | Recovery Elevator
- TEDx Talk: I’ve been duped by alcohol | Paul Churchill | TEDxBozeman
- Paul Churchill’s Podcast Recovery Elevator
- Paul Churchill on Instagram @recoveryelevator
- Paul Churchill on Facebook: Recovery Elevator
Connect with Casey McGuire Davidson
Casey McGuire Davidson is a life and sobriety coach and host of the Top 100 Mental Health Podcast, The Hello Someday Podcast for sober curious women and gray area drinkers. Casey helps busy women quit drinking and create lives they love without alcohol. She’s a wife, a mom, a practical dreamer, a retired corporate ladder climber, recovering people-pleaser and ex-red wine drinker, who’s been known to crawl into bed at 9 pm and whisper “Don’t worry…you’re still a badass” to herself.
- Casey McGuire Davidson’s Website | Hello Someday
- Casey McGuire Davidson’s Podcast | The Hello Someday Podcast
- Casey McGuire Davidson on Instagram @caseymdavidson
Resources for You
- Order my book | Soberful: Uncover a Sustainable, Fulfilling Life Free of Alcohol
- Join our Soberful FREE private Facebook group for community and support.
- Have you signed up for our sober tips yet? Join our free newsletter to get sober nuggets straight from us to your inbox every week.
- Submit Your Questions to Us
- We love hearing from you! Share your comments and feedback with us on our Instagram page @VeronicaJValli
Never miss another episode!
Get the sober life you've been longing for. Start by subscribing and we will deliver new podcast episodes as soon as they are released.