Nearly all industries have ways of promoting excessive drinking. Chip and Veronica discuss the culture of alcohol, hospitality and binge drinking as it relates to work. They give tips on being sober in these environments and navigating them while also keeping and excelling at your career.
Listen to the episode now:
Watch the episode now:
Many of my clients in various fields have often joked with me about the culture of drinking in their respective industries. Because it’s such an embedded part of the culture, they find it challenging to break away.
From medicine to finance and real estate, and more, some companies even perpetuate this culture by providing alcohol in the workplace and having a drinks trolley or a bar on the premises.
Today Chip and I are talking about our observations and experiences with clients in various industries, the potential risks of drinking at work-related events, and tips for navigating these events as a non-drinker. In this episode, we’re talking about:
- The prevalence of drinking in different industries
- How drinking is often seen as a norm or expectation for gatherings with work colleagues
- Negative consequences of excessive drinking in professional settings
- Some of our client’s experiences with career-ending mistakes and damage to reputations
- The unhealthy connection between work and alcohol,
- The challenges of being a non-drinker in a work environment
- Strategies for navigating being a non-drinker
- How different professions justify excessive drinking
- Tips for explaining why someone is not drinking
- The potential for excessive drinking at office celebrations
- Comparing the consequences of excessive drinking at work versus other settings
- Financial and reputational risks that come with work-related drinking
- The culture of long lunches and work activities involving drinking
- Challenges of early recovery during the holiday season and advice for those currently in this stage
- Navigating workplace events soberly
Resources for You
- Order my book | Soberful: Uncover a Sustainable, Fulfilling Life Free of Alcohol
- Join our Soberful FREE private Facebook group for community and support.
- Have you signed up for our sober tips yet? Join our free newsletter to get sober nuggets straight from us to your inbox every week.
- Submit Your Questions to Us
- We love hearing from you! Share your comments and feedback with us on our Instagram page @VeronicaJValli
Never miss another episode!
Get the sober life you've been longing for. Start by subscribing and we will deliver new podcast episodes as soon as they are released.