One of the most common reasons people drink is to manage their social anxiety. Chip and Veronica discuss how alcohol makes anxiety worse and what you can do to change it.
Listen to the episode now:
Do you rely on alcohol to cope with anxiety in social situations?
For me, it was a major factor in why I started drinking and why my drinking escalated as much as it did. It’s also been one of the hardest obstacles to overcome in my recovery.
Today Chip and I are diving into the connection between social anxiety and alcohol use. We share our experiences with social anxiety, how it impacted our journey to sobriety, and the lessons we learned along the way. Join us as we explore the importance of support groups, the power of vulnerability, and the steps you can take to overcome social anxiety. Don’t let social anxiety hold you back any longer.
In this episode, Chip and I discuss:
- The reasons people turn to alcohol for social anxiety
- Why social anxiety is so common
- The perceived importance of social lubrication
- Managing the fear of having to cope with social anxiety without alcohol
- The fine line between self-obsession and social anxiety
- How social anxiety has been one of the biggest hurdles for me to overcome
- The real impact of social anxiety on our drinking habits
- Support groups as a practice ground for sober socialization
- The underestimated benefits of support groups
- The recipe for quelling social anxiety
- Why short bursts of sobriety are not enough
- How EFT can play a big part in the recovery journey
- Remembering that early sobriety is not how it is long-term
Mentioned in the Episode
- Hot Sobriety with Veronica Valli & Kate Baily – Join us on Monday, July 10th from 1pm-4pm EST, in this live workshop to learn how menopause and sobriety can work for you, not against you!
Resources for You
- Order my book | Soberful: Uncover a Sustainable, Fulfilling Life Free of Alcohol
- Join our Soberful FREE private Facebook group for community and support.
- Have you signed up for our sober tips yet? Join our free newsletter to get sober nuggets straight from us to your inbox every week.
- Submit Your Questions to Us
- We love hearing from you! Share your comments and feedback with us on our Instagram page @VeronicaJValli
Never miss another episode!
Get the sober life you've been longing for. Start by subscribing and we will deliver new podcast episodes as soon as they are released.