Chip and Veronica break down what binge pattern drinking is. They discuss that it’s not how much we drink or how often; it’s the pattern that matters. We can delude ourselves for a long time that our drinking isn’t problematic if we don’t drink every day, which is how Veronica’s drinking was.
Listen to the episode now:
Follow Us for FREE: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Google Podcasts | RSS
“I know I don’t have a drinking problem because I don’t drink every day.”
It’s a common defense mechanism and the way that a lot of us justify our drinking. Unfortunately, it’s also where we get it wrong.
Frequency of drinking is not the determining factor in alcohol dependency. It’s not about how much you drink, it’s about what happens when you do.
This is where binge-pattern drinking becomes a problem. Many people kid themselves into thinking they’re okay because they’re not drinking every day, but if you’re drinking huge amounts on weekends and neglecting your responsibilities, that’s a red flag
So, how can we recognize these patterns and break the self-delusion?
If you think you might be struggling with binge-pattern drinking, you’re not alone. This is exactly how my drinking was and it took me a while to recognize it for what it was. Remember, recognizing these patterns and seeking help is not a sign of weakness, but rather a step towards strength and a better future.
In this episode, we talk about:
- Why behavior patterns are more telling than individual actions or statements
- The commonality of binge pattern drinking
- The shocking level of addiction and self-deception that humans are capable of
- Getting real about the consequences of drinking
- Planning events around getting drunk
- The elaborate excuses we construct for binge drinking
- The role of fear and emotions in alcohol dependency.
- The individuality of alcohol dependency
- How Veronica used other substances and behaviors to manage her emotions when she wasn’t drinking
- Self-delusion and how we minimize the consequences of our drinking
- And more!
Watch the episode now
Mentioned in this episode
Join Veronica and Chip for one night only! The Sober Code is an exclusive workshop that takes a deep dive into exactly what it takes to make sobriety stick. Thursday, May 18th @1pm EST/ 6pm UK. Click here to learn more.
Resources for You
- Order my book | Soberful: Uncover a Sustainable, Fulfilling Life Free of Alcohol
- Join our Soberful FREE private Facebook group for community and support.
- Have you signed up for our sober tips yet? Join our free newsletter to get sober nuggets straight from us to your inbox every week.
- Submit Your Questions to Us
- We love hearing from you! Share your comments and feedback with us on our Instagram page @VeronicaJValli
Never miss another episode!
Get the sober life you've been longing for. Start by subscribing and we will deliver new podcast episodes as soon as they are released.