One of the defining characteristics of addiction is ‘the obsession of self.’ Chip and Veronica talk about their own experiences and how to overcome self-obsession.
Listen to the episode now:
We all know someone a bit too focused on themselves and their needs, but when does it become a mental disorder?
Self-obsession is common among people with addiction disorders. While it can be a normal part of life, if left unchecked, it can lead to unhealthy behaviors, such as isolating yourself, becoming narrowly focused on your needs and desires, and constantly comparing yourself to others in a harmful way.
Managing self-obsession is critical to sustainable sobriety and maintaining a healthy outlook on life. It starts with understanding your strengths and weaknesses and recognizing and accepting that no one is perfect.
In this episode, Chip and I discuss the intrinsic need to belong, how the human desire to fit in affects our self-obsession, the one thing that can help us overcome self-obsession, and what it takes to break free from crippling self-obsession.
Resources for You
- Order my book | Soberful: Uncover a Sustainable, Fulfilling Life Free of Alcohol
- Join our Soberful FREE private Facebook group for community and support.
- Have you signed up for our sober tips yet? Join our free newsletter to get sober nuggets straight from us to your inbox every week.
- Submit Your Questions to Us
- We love hearing from you! Share your comments and feedback with us on our Instagram page @VeronicaJValli
Never miss another episode!
Get the sober life you've been longing for. Start by subscribing and we will deliver new podcast episodes as soon as they are released.