In this not to be missed episode, Veronica interviews Jessica Lahey, author of The Addiction Inoculation, about what to tell our kids about alcohol and drugs.
Listen to the episode now:
Follow Us for FREE: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Google Podcasts | RSS
Protecting my children the from this world of addiction is always at the forefront of my mind.
Our guest today is Jessica Lahey, the author of The Addiction Inoculation, a book about what to tell our kids about alcohol and drugs.
For parents in recovery, we often worry about how we can protect our children and help them to choose a different path than we did, despite access being so much easier than when we were kids.
As someone with a substance use disorder, Jessica wrote The Addiction Inoculation from the perspective of her experiences, combined with important research. She set out to answer the questions of what works for prevention, the role of genetics in addiction, and how parents and educators can worth together. I think you’re really gonna love this interview, and I highly recommend getting a copy of The Addiction Inoculation for yourself.
About Jessica Lahey
Jessica Lahey is the author of the New York Times bestselling book, The Gift of Failure: How the Best Parents Learn to Let Go So Their Children Can Succeed and The Addiction Inoculation: Raising Healthy Kids in a Culture of Dependence. Over twenty years, Jess has taught every grade from sixth to twelfth in both public and private schools, and spent five years teaching in a drug and alcohol rehab for adolescents in Vermont, and serves as a prevention and recovery coach at Sana at Stowe, a medical detox and recovery center in Stowe, Vermont. She writes about education, parenting, and child welfare for The Washington Post, The Atlantic, is a book critic for Air Mail, and her biweekly column “The Parent Teacher Conference” ran for three years at the New York Times. She designed and wrote the educational curriculum for Amazon Kids’ award-winning animated series The Stinky and Dirty Show, and was a 2019 Pushcart Prize nominee for her Creative Nonfiction magazine essay, “I’ve Taught Monsters.” Jess holds the dubious honor of having written an article that was later adapted as a writing prompt for the 2018 SAT. She co-hosts the #AmWriting podcast with bestselling authors KJ Dell’Antonia and Sarina Bowen, and lives in Vermont with her husband, two sons, and a lot of dogs.
Connect with Jessica Lahey
- Jessica Lahey’s Website | JessicaLahey.com
- Jessica Lahey’s Books
- Jessica Lahey on Twitter @JessLahey
- Join my flagship FREE training Sober Mindset: Change Your Beliefs, Change Your Life. From September 19th to the 23rd, I will teach you everything you need to know about changing your mindset. You won’t want to miss this one.
- Overcoming Our Childhood Issues Program & Retreat – Join Chip and Veronica in person in England for this two-and-a-half-day retreat
- Are You Sober Curious? | Crowdfunding campaign
- Order my book | Soberful: Uncover a Sustainable, Fulfilling Life Free of Alcohol
- Join our Soberful FREE private Facebook group for community and support.
- Have you signed up for our sober tips yet? Join our free newsletter to get sober nuggets straight from us to your inbox every week.
- Submit Your Questions to Us
- We love hearing from you! Share your comments and feedback with us on our Instagram page @VeronicaJValli
Never miss another episode!
Get the sober life you've been longing for. Start by subscribing and we will deliver new podcast episodes as soon as they are released.